Green building, also known as sustainable building or eco-friendly building, refers to the design, construction, and operation of buildings in an environmentally responsible and resource-efficient manner. The primary goal of green building is to reduce the negative environmental impact of the built environment while enhancing the health and well-being of occupants.
This is achieved through various strategies and practices that promote energy efficiency, water conservation, waste reduction, use of sustainable materials, and improved indoor air quality.
Green Building Council Indonesia (GBC Indonesia)
GBC Indonesia is an independent organization committed to promoting green building practices in Indonesia. GBC Indonesia's mission is to educate the public and facilitate the transformation of the building industry towards sustainability.
They aim to collaborate with various stakeholders, including construction professionals, developers, government bodies, educational institutions, and environmental organizations.
GBC Indonesia offers two main certification programs: GREENSHIP certification, based on the GREENSHIP rating tools, and EDGE Certification, in collaboration with IFC. These programs evaluate and certify buildings for their sustainability and green design.
What is Greenship Certification?
GREENSHIP certification is based on GREENSHIP rating tools developed by GBC Indonesia and currently covering six types of certification such as New Building, Existing Building, Interior Space, Homes, Neighborhood, and Net Zero Healthy.
- Greenship New Building: This certification is applicable to newly constructed buildings. It assesses the environmental performance and sustainability of the building from the design and construction phases.
- Greenship Existing Building: This certification is for existing buildings that have undergone retrofits or renovations to improve their sustainability and environmental performance. It evaluates the building's ongoing operations and any upgrades made.
- Greenship Interior Space: This certification focuses specifically on the interior spaces within a building. It assesses the sustainability and green features of the interior design and fit-out, considering factors like lighting, indoor air quality, and materials used.
- Greenship Homes: Greenship Homes certification is designed for residential properties, including single-family homes and multi-family buildings. It evaluates the sustainability and green features of residential structures.
These Greenship certifications are part of GBC Indonesia's efforts to promote green building practices across different building types and stages, from new construction to retrofits and interior spaces. Each certification type has specific criteria and guidelines tailored to its intended scope, ensuring that sustainable practices are applied effectively in various building contexts.
What is EDGE Certification?
EDGE certification offers a practical and efficient way for developers to create resource-efficient, green buildings in emerging markets. By meeting EDGE standards, developers can not only reduce operational costs but also enhance their projects' marketability and brand recognition. This program aligns with the global trend toward sustainable and eco-friendly construction practices.
Green Building Criteria
The criteria for a building to be considered a green building include:
- Energy Efficiency: For example, using glass walls to allow more natural light to enter and providing solar panels as an energy source.
- Healthy Indoor Environment: Especially important because employees spend a significant amount of their time in offices.
- Sustainable Materials: Green building concepts involve using environmentally friendly materials and providing eco-friendly water treatment.
- Waste Separation and Management: Providing facilities for waste separation and managing domestic waste.
- Infrastructure for Disaster Preparedness: Other criteria for green buildings include providing infrastructure to address or anticipate disasters.
The range of costs required for certification includes an initial registration fee of Rp 5.000.000, while the certification fees vary for each Greenship category. The price range falls between Rp 40.000.000 to Rp 350.000.000.
Why Is It Important To Get The Green Building Certification?
The need for green building certification arises from the desire to provide an objective and standardized way to measure and verify the sustainability and environmental performance of buildings.
This is important because simply claiming that a building is "green" or environmentally friendly without any independent assessment or certification may lack credibility and transparency
Here's an explanation of what self-claimed green buildings are:
- Subjective Claims: A self-claimed green building is one where the owner or developer asserts that the building meets certain green or sustainable criteria. These claims are often based on the building's design, materials, or features, but they are not independently verified.
- Lack of Standardization: Without certification, there may be no standardized criteria or benchmarks against which to measure the building's sustainability. This can lead to ambiguity and varying interpretations of what constitutes a "green" building.
- Limited Credibility: Self-claimed green buildings may lack credibility in the eyes of tenants, investors, and the public because there is no third-party verification of their sustainability claims. It can be challenging to assess the actual environmental impact of such buildings.
- Risk of Greenwashing: Some buildings may make exaggerated or misleading green claims (greenwashing) to appear environmentally friendly without actually meeting rigorous sustainability standards. This can mislead stakeholders and the public.
In summary, green building practices aim to create sustainable, energy-efficient, and environmentally friendly buildings that benefit both the environment and occupants. Certification programs like GREENSHIP and EDGE help evaluate and recognize these efforts, and GBC Indonesia plays a vital role in promoting green building practices in the country.
You have the power to make a significant impact on our environment, one building at a time. By embracing green building practices, you not only enhance the value and appeal of your properties but also contribute to a healthier, more sustainable world.
Join the green building movement, and together, we can create a sustainable, thriving future. Let's build for a better environment, healthier communities, and a brighter tomorrow.
This article is provided by Nextlivin, For more information on how NextLivin can assist you in efficiently managing your property, visit our website. Don't forget to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, TikTok for more content.